Medical malpractice occurs when a health care professional fails to meet the required standard of skill and care, resulting in damage to a patient. Malpractice suits may allege various mistakes made by doctors or other medical professionals, including misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis, failure to diagnose, surgical errors and various other types of negligence. Medical professionals subject to malpractice cases include doctors, nurses, dentists, pathologists, radiologists, technicians and hospital staff.
Surgical mistakes make up some of the most frequently reviewed potential medical malpractice cases. These can range from errors regarding the administration and monitoring of anesthesia, the type and length of incision, the surgery itself, and the inadvertent cutting or injuring of nerves, organs, or other vital body parts. They even encompass the post surgical care and follow-up.
Serious and permanent brain injury can occur from improper administration of anesthesia. The wrong type of incision could cause unnecessary complications. Operating room equipment malfunctions also contribute to surgical errors and can have devastating consequences.
Post surgical follow-up care can also give rise to allegations of substandard care. The surgeon must be attentive to the patient and provide them with the proper monitoring following surgery until discharge from the hospital. If signs and symptoms are not addressed in a timely fashion, the patient can suffer severe consequences.
Not all errors in medical diagnosis and treatment are necessarily malpractice, because there are certain risks and margins for error that arise inherently in the practice of medicine. The key to distinguishing between a bad outcome arising out of negligence and a bad outcome arising out of an unintended, but known and accepted risk of surgery, lies in the review of the records by a qualified surgeon. A medical malpractice lawyer can help facilitate this process.
Experience Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Miami, Florida
At Jugo & Murphy, our medical malpractice attorney has over thirty years of experience handling medical malpractice claims across the state of Florida. As a trusted personal injury firm, our medical malpractice lawyers have utilized nationally renowned experts in every specialty in order to investigate potential malpractice claims, and we aggressively pursue those claims where the health care provider fell below the accepted standard of care. With an office in Miami, FL, we are proud to serve clients throughout the Coral Gables, Homestead, Kendall, Palmetto Bay, Pinecrest, and South Miami, FL area. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with our team.
Some of the successful cases our Miami medical malpractice lawyers have handled include:
- An obstetrician who failed to complete the termination of a pregnancy, resulting in a child born with brain damage and disabilities. The cases resolved with a $1.3 million verdict;
- The failure to recognize a lacerated liver following CPR led to the wrongful death of 43-year-old husband and father of one. The case ended with a $1.1 million settlementt;
- The wrongful death of 19 year old following elective surgery to remove a benign brain tumor. The case settled for $975,000; and
- A doctor who negligently performed a tummy tuck procedure resulting in permanent scarring. The verdict was $820,000.
Why Should You Hire a Medical Malpractice Attorney?
There are many benefits that come with trusting an experienced attorney after you’ve been harmed by a negligent healthcare provider. If you are pursuing a medical malpractice claim, here are some reasons to retain the services of a medical malpractice attorney:
- We Make it Easier: The medical malpractice process is long and complex, but working with a medical malpractice attorney can help significantly. We deal with the insurance companies, tackle the paperwork, consult with witnesses, and build your case; this saves you time and energy to focus on other things. Because we have skills, resources, and experience under our belt, we can avoid potential mistakes and speed up the process in its own right.
- We Know Your Worth: Without a solid frame of reference, you might go into the process with unrealistic expectations – either too high or too low. We have been through the process many times; we will put our knowledge to work and come up with a settlement that accurately represents your needs and maximizes your chances for success.
- We Can Argue Your Case: In many personal injury or medical malpractice cases, the case must be made before a judge or jury. The ability to make a coherent argument can make or break your case. With our knowledge and experience, we can make a great argument for your case.
If you have any questions about how we can help you in your case, don’t hesitate to reach out to our office
Other Practice Areas
- Car Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- SUV Rollovers
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Aviation Accidents
- Maritime Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Negligent Security
- Boating Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Tobacco Litigation